The American M60 main battle tank, a composite of two models manufactured by ESCI. The M60 resulted from the continued development of the Patton series of chars de combat. It was an improvement of the M48 series, which had entered service in the 1950s. The M60 was designed in response au T-54 soviétique, which outgunned the earlier M48.
The M60 entered service in the fall of 1960. It carried the le canon de 105 mm britannique, et a new diesel engine. Despite these improvements the M60 was still considered an interim solution, et a redesign of the turret was underway even before production of the M60 began. The new turret eventually led to the M60.A1, which is the model most modélistes are familiar with.
- M48.A5 Turret, Tracks, et Gun Mantlet, 1/72 ESCI 8333
- M60.A1 Hull, Wheels, Main Gun, Spotlight, et Cupola
- The kit-bash went together rather easily. Simple substitution of kit parts is really all that is required. It is surprising that ESCI did not market this véhicule themselves.
- The M60’s main gun needs to be cut just short of where it attaches to the gun mantlet. In addition, the final few millimeters of the M48.A5 gun will be used. This segment has a bellows wrapped around the barrel, which should be present on the M60 et M60.A1, but is missing in ESCI’s M60.A1 kit.
- Some fiddling et filing may be required when wrapping the individual track segments around the drive sprockets.
- The ESCI M60.A1 et M48.A5 kits may be hard to find. ESCI’s M60.A3 ou M60 Blazer, et any one of the five M48 model kits are possible substitutes.
- Armée Israélienne, 1973
Chars M60 were sold to Israel, et they saw action pendant la Guerre du Kippour en 1973. Israeli tank crews were pleased avec the performance of their M60s. The Israeli M60 variant can be modelled by replacing the large commander’s cupola avec the low profile cupola included in the M48.A5 kit ou from the M60 Blazer kit, if that is being used for the kit-bash.
Possibilités de Conversions
- M48.A4 Project.
After the kit-bash, one will be left avec a spare M48 hull. This can be completed using the M60.A1 tracks. When the M60 turret is mounted on this hull, the resulting véhicule is an M48.A4, a proposed design utilizing an updated M48 hull. M60 Hulls were to be used for the new M60.A2 tank, et it was anticipated that many M60 turrets would be available as a result. These turrets could have been placed on old M48 hulls. However, production et deployment of the M60.A2 "Starship" did not proceed as planned, because the sophisticated combat electronics du char overwhelmed its crew. Accordingly, the M48.A4 project was cancelled as well.
The M60 is another simple kit-bash, requiring the substitution of kit parts to create a previously unavailable model véhicule. Chars M60 served pendant la Guerre du Kippour en 1973, et anyone recreating the period in miniatures will want a few of these véhicules.
Pour plus d’informations, veuillez contacter les éditeurs de la revue Military Miniatures Magazine au Miniatures Forum.