The Torpedo Militare was a militarized 4×2 passenger car used by military commanders et their staffs. The Lancia Aprilia shown here is similar in appearance to the more common Fiat 508C Mil./1100 field car. These véhicules bear a lot of similarity to voitures Kübelsitzer allemandes, et many of them were captured et employed by the Wehrmacht après l’armistice italien of 03 Septembre 1943. The véhicule shown here has been painted sand, avec a chocolate brown disruptive stripes of pastel chalk. The pastel chalk was applied avec a dry paintbrush, et it gives the camouflage pattern a nicely weathered look.
- Torpedo Militare Lancia Aprilia M.1939
- Type: Field Car, Light, 4×2
- Moteur: 4V - 1451 ccm
- Longueur: 4326 mm
- Largeur: 1944 mm
- Hauteur: 1666 mm (1876 mm avec top)
- Empattement: 2923 mm
- Poids: 1120 kg (1500 kg loaded)
- Vitesse: 126 km/h
- Autonomie: 700 km
- Choix de sujet excellent, the Lancia is the first voiture italienne in its scale. The véhicule is compatible avec des véhicules blindés italiens of the period de chez ESCI, and it may be used by Wehrmacht units deployed en Italie after Septembre 1943.
- Scale model avec very attractive lines.
- Easy to assemble, only 21 parts. The model can be put together in 30 minutes or less.
- The entire véhicule is cast in soft metal, much sturdier than resin.
- Assembly instructions are easy to follow, the parts fall into place nicely. Gaps between body parts are avoided by pressing the pieces firmly together while the superglue sets.
- Good casting quality. Flash et mould lines were very easy to remove with a scalpel. The front edges of the body sides had to be trimmed to ensure a good fit against the hood.
- Two variants: Open ou closed top. The spare part may be used on another véhicule.
- Two spare jerrycans are a welcome addition to the parts box. Manufacturers should routinely throw a few extras in the box, encouraging the modéliste to customize véhicules. Rolled tarps et blanket, jerrycans, boxes, et spare tires are always nice to have.
- Compatible avec ESCI, Hasegawa, Revell et CDC.
- Cast in soft metal, containing lead. The véhicule is very heavy, considered an advantage by some, et a transportation problem by others.
- A noticeable gap behind the rear passenger seats needs to be filled if the véhicule is modelled avec the canvas top folded down.
- Minor inclusions on the left fender needed to be filled et sanded. The same casting irregularities appeared on the canvas top, but here the textured effect is quite realistic.
- The posts attaching the windshield to the hood assembly had to be cut down to reduce a gap between the hood et windshield. Accordingly, the window posts on the body sides had to be cut down by 1 mm to ensure a good fit of the canvas top.
- The jerrycans do not show the straps et buckles which would normally be required to tie them down securely. The modéliste will want to add this important detail, using strips of thin card ou foil.
- The model does not have the typical gasoline filler cap on the right rear panel of the body. This part would be easy to model, drilling a hole in the panel et inserting a piece of capped sprue ou brass pipe.
- Front et rear axles are not marked. The manufacturer informed us that the T-section axle belongs in the front, it should be mounted avec the small notches facing forward.
- Decals are not included. Marquages de la voiture would be minimal, except for des plaques d’immatriculation prefixed RE (Army) ou RA (Air Force).
- Crew figurines are not included. Un conducteur et officier would have been a nice addition to the kit. Le fantassin avançant from the Airfix Infanterie Italienne set makes a perfect conducteur for the Lancia. The figurine’s left hand comes to rest exactly on the gear-lever, because the Lancia has right-hand steering, like the majority des véhicules italiens. If the closed canvas top is used, only the upper body of the conducteur is needed, otherwise seated legs from another plastic figurine may be used to create a full figurine.
- The cover photo shows the Lancia painted in a desert sand colour for overseas service, but the instructions do not list recommended model paint numbers. At home, véhicules italiens were painted a greyish green, et a variety de schémas de camouflage multi-colour were used throughout the war. A two-tone pattern of desert sand avec brown ou olive green would look very attractive on the Torpedo Militare, et modélistes should look into this subject.
- Voiture de l’Armée Italienne, 1939-1943
- Kübelsitzer de la Wehrmacht Allemande (capturée/confiscated), 1943-1945
Possibilités de Conversions
- Open ou closed top, both versions included.
The Torpedo Military Lancia Aprilia is a welcome addition to the growing range des figurines et véhicules italiens de la Seconde Guerre mondiale. The Lancia Aprilia looks massive compared to a Jeep, et it goes very well avec the old Airfix figurines de l’Infanterie Italienne recently re-released by HäT Industrie. The model offers good value for money, et it may be the perfect lure for an automobile modéliste not normally interested in military subjects. The Lancia will be an important addition to any collection, perticularly if the véhicule is painted en schemas de camouflage multi-couleurs italiens ou allemands.
Pour plus d’information, veuillez contacter les éditeurs de la revue Military Miniatures Magazine sur facebook.